BASF awards a total of €200,000 to five researchers from China, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore to support research on Asian health concerns
Two of the researchers will study the effects of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) from BASF on 200 overweight and obese adults
Singapore – October 10, 2018 – BASF yesterday announced the five winners of the 2018 Newtrition® Asia Research Grant. With grants of €40,000 each, the winners will conduct scientific research on three main topics relevant for Asia Pacific: cardiovascular health, metabolic health, and physical function and mobility.
Grant recipients from the Xi’an Jiaotong University’s School of Public Health and the Department of Nutrition, Faculty of Medicine Universitas Indonesia, will embark on two separate clinical studies in the next 18 months. They will study the effects of BASF’s CLA on 200 overweight and obese adults to address this pressing health concern among Asian consumers.
CLA is a polyunsaturated omega-6 fatty acid, which is naturally found in ruminant meat and milk, formed from linoleic acid in the rumen. There is clinical evidence that supplementation with CLA can help reduce body fat percentage and maintain lean body mass, helping to prevent fat from being regained1.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has identified a raised body mass index of more than 25 as a major risk factor for noncommunicable disease such as cardiovascular diseases, Type-2 diabetes and musculoskeletal disorders among others. With approximately three in ten adults in China, Indonesia and Singapore classified as overweight or obese by the WHO in 2016, these two studies are wholly aligned with the objective of the Newtrition Asia Research Grant to advance scientific research in health and nutritional topics relevant for Asia Pacific demographics.
“The rise of obesity in this part of the world is a result of rapid economic, demographic and epidemiological changes. This grant program is a way in which BASF can make a positive impact on these nutritional transitions through science, to deliver on our commitment of providing the right nutrients to the right people at the right time,” said Stefan Ruedenauer, Global Director Research and Development and Scientific Marketing, BASF Human Nutrition.
Each year, recipients of the Newtrition Asia Research Grant are chosen based on demanding selection criteria, which include a panel review by a team of health experts as well as BASF’s scientific advisory committee. BASF announced the five winners of the 6th edition of the grant in the presence of more than a hundred local and international guests from government agencies as well as leading health and nutrition companies.
The 2018 grant recipients and their respective research topics are as follows:
1. Dr. Liu Xin, Department of Epidemiology and Health Statistics, School of Public Health, Xi’an Jiaotong University Health Science Center, China: The effects of supplementation of conjugated linoleic acid on body fat reduction in overweight or obese Chinese adults: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial
2. Dr. Fiastuti Witjaksono, Department of Nutrition, Faculty of Medicine Universitas Indonesia: Conjugated linoleic acid combined with nutrition counselling on body weight, body fat mass, and inflammatory status in overweight and obese adults
3. Dr. Kim Jung Eun, Food Science & Technology Programme, c/o Department of Chemistry, National University of Singapore: Impact of co-consuming a plant sterols-enriched food product with a healthy eating pattern diet on endothelial function and blood pressure management in individuals with metabolic syndrome
4. Dr. Mary Chong Foong Fong, Singapore Institute for Clinical Sciences, A*STAR, Singapore & SSH School of Public Health, National University of Singapore: Relationships of maternal carotenoids, vitamin E and fatty acids with metabolic health in women during pregnancy and after childbirth
5. Dr. Mahenderan Appukutty, University of Teknologi MARA, Selangor, Malaysia: The effect of co-administration of omega-3 fatty acids and probiotics (lactobacillus casei) in improving stress, inflammatory and immune response in athletes
·Anchor partner in Germany and United S...
• Highly attractive MDI market ...
BASF awards a total of €200,000 to five r...
·New production line to serve growing d...
BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 1, 2018-- Cabot Corp...